Sunday 17 March 2013

Batts make me happy

I took up the YarnHarlot's spinning challenge this week and have spun quite a bit. Hardly a dent in my stash however. I also picked and carded up some nice batts. I find the whole process very soothing. Somedays my living room looks like a wool factory tho! I really need to stick to working in the studio. My hint for making less mess? I keep a stick vacuum close by and vacuum every time I stand up. This keeps me from tracking fluff all over the house. Well its my attempt at it anyhow :)
My pictures seem to be crappy these days so I'll be setting up a dedicated area in the studio. But for now, here's one of a nice fat batt I made up today for my friend Barb. It's darker than it appears here, and is made of 98% local wool Alpaca, llama, romney and icelandic. Theres a small amount of blue that I can't recall the source for. The browns are natural colour, and the reddish brown is alpace cria. She has sworn she will only spin flax so it'll be interesting to see what she says when she gets it .






==========

The Fermented Suint Project continues. Day 6 but my fleece still just smells like dirty fleece. The water has not yet a scum on top either. I am not sure if it's the lower temperatures ( we've been  consistently at about 10c/50F all week with lows of 3 or so) I will leave it until tomorrow and then remover the fleece and add some icelandic that I have, It seems to have lots of lanolin. The fleece that's in there looks  a lot cleaner  so no loss really .



No comments:

Post a Comment